Safe Tree Trimming Tips
Trimming the tree can be one of the best Christmas memories you make with your kids. That's why it's important to keep the activity fun and safe. Safe Kids Coalition Coordinator Penny Lentz offers this advice for holiday decorating:
- Keep your kids in mind when decorating your tree. They are naturally curious and will want to play with those enticing ornaments.
- Consider moving ornaments that are breakable or have metal hooks to the top of the tree.
- Check the lights to make sure there are no exposed, frayed wires, loose connections or broken sockets.
- Water your tree regularly. Dry trees pose a fire hazard.
- Keep harmful plants out of reach of both children and pets. That includes mistletoe berries, holly berry and Jerusalem cherry.