Pack a Healthier Lunch
Who says packing a lunch needs to be boring? It can be one of the healthiest – and economical – ways to get through the work day. But if you find yourself in a turkey sandwich or microwaved leftovers rut, we have a few ideas to spice up your midday meal. Here is a week’s worth of tasty lunches:
- Tortilla pinwheels. Turn your favorite sandwich goodies into a fun-to-eat pinwheel! Layer meats and veggies, or fill a tortilla with tuna salad, then roll it up. Slice horizontally into ½-inch pinwheels.
- Pasta salad. The options are limitless with this! Pick your favorite veggies and meats, then toss with colorful pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. You can go southwest-style with beans, avocado and corn, or have an Italian flair with pepperoncini, tomatoes and turkey pepperoni.
- Apple sandwich. Core an apple, then slice horizontally. Between each slice, put a layer of peanut butter and one of your choice of toppings – blueberries, walnuts, coconut or raisins.
- Bento box. Fill small spaces with fun and unrelated foods! Try grapes in one section, snap peas in another, Triscuits crackers and a Babybel cheese in a third and a hard-boiled egg to round things out.
- Mason jar salad. Pack your favorite goodies in a reusable mason jar with just a bit of pre-planning. The secret to a fresh mason jar salad is layering the ingredients properly so you don’t wind up with soggy, wilted lettuce! So put 1-4 tablespoons of dressing on the bottom, then add veggies or fruit that won’t soak in your dressing. That might include onions, carrots or raisins. Next, add cooked protein and on top of that any veggies that would soak in your dressing such as cucumbers. You’ll also add other fruits such as berries, plus nuts and seeds at this point. If you’re using cheese, put it in as the next layer. Then finally, top with lettuce or other greens. When it’s time to eat, pour that jar onto a plate or into a bowl – it will come out in the perfect order for a tasty meal!