Make Grilling Healthy
1. Mind your marinades. Several store bought options have a lot salt. Using dry or fresh herbs with heart healthy oils such as olive or canola can add an abundance of flavor without the extra salt.
2. Try Kabobs. You will get plenty of protein plus the benefits of vegetables.
3. Go low and slow and invest in a meat thermometer!
4. Grilling is not just for meats- try veggie and fruits too. Brush with a small amount of oil and your preferred seasoning. Garlic, basil, rosemary, cumin, paprika, and cinnamon... the list goes on.
5. Grill more fish. Full of heart healthy fat; fish a great addition to the grilling season.
Now get out there and get grilling.
Chicken Fajita Marinade
(Ready in 4 hours 35 minutes)
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1. Whisk vegetable oil, chili powder, lime juice, honey, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper in a bowl to make a marinade. Place chicken strips into a large resealable plastic bag; pour marinade over chicken. Knead bag to coat chicken with marinade. Squeeze out air, seal bag, and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
3. Remove chicken strips from marinade; discard used marinade.
4. Grill chicken on preheated grill until browned, the juices run clear, and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest piece reads at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), about 10 minutes per side.
© 2016 Allrecipes.com
Anna Nielson, RD, LDN, is a dietitian at SwedishAmerican.