Heart Happy Health
We can help make your heart happy! High cholesterol is an indication that your heart might be working harder than it needs to. It increases your chance of both heart disease and heart attacks.
Your doctor can provide medication to help, but a few basic diet changes will go a long way toward reducing your cholesterol naturally -- and that will make for a happy, healthy heart!
- Lower saturated fats in your diet. Foods such as red meat and full-fat dairy products contain these fats, which raise your "bad" cholesterol.
- Get rid of trans fats. This is so dangerous that the Food and Drug Administration says foods cannot be made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil -- a trans fat -- starting in 2021. You'll find these fats in packaged baked goods or margarine.
- Add omega-3-rich foods. These include fish such as salmon and nuts such as walnuts.
- Eat more fiber. This is great for absorbing cholesterol in your blood stream. Find tasty sources in oatmeal, apples and pears.
- Increase whey protein. Found in dairy products, this will lower "bad" cholesterol as well as total cholesterol.