Healthy Christmas Cookies
There’s one thing we like more than Christmas cookies: healthy Christmas cookies! It only takes a few simple swaps to take some of the guilt out of your holiday favorites. Try these easy tips:
- Use a heart-healthy oil, such as canola or olive, to replace up to half of the butter or shortening.
- Look for natural food sources, such as a beet-based red dye.
- Cut the salt in any recipe to between ¼ and ½ teaspoon per batch.
- Substitute whole-wheat flour for your standard all-purpose flour.
- Heart-healthy cookies? Add between two and four tablespoons of ground flaxseeds to add fiber and omega-3 to your cookies. The flavor works best in oat- or spice-based cookies.
- Switch from icing to more creative toppings, such as nuts, orange zest or dark chocolate.