Family Summer Fun List
If you haven’t checked everything off your summer fun list, here’s your chance! August is Family Fun Month, which should get you plenty excited for quality time with your kids. The great news is that you don’t need to spend any money in order to celebrate – just carve out time with the ones you love.
If you need inspiration, you’ve come to the right place. We’re all about the fun here at Swedes! Consider these ideas:
- Catch a show. Head out to a Rockford Ski Broncs show, a Rivets game or a local outdoor concert. Don’t forget glow sticks for the kids!
- Hit the park. Bring a ball and bat, spend some time on the swings or take up geocaching. For a fun twist, pack breakfast and go first thing in the morning for a special picnic!
- Go online. Check out community calendars, Facebook pages and Groupon for ideas such as festivals, library art classes or deals at the local roller rink.
- Stay home. Make s’mores over a campfire in the backyard or watch a movie while lounging in a pool.
- Try something new. Seek out a museum or zoo that you haven’t seen before.
- Road trip. Whether you head west to Galena or south to Dixon, there are plenty of fun communities to explore within driving distance of the Rock River Valley.
- Make dinner. Ask the kids what they would like to learn to cook (or bake!) and teach them to make a special meal.
- Browse a farmer’s market or garage sale. Give the kids each a few dollars to spend as they wish, then wander through and let everyone enjoy shopping.
- Chalk the walk. Head outdoors with your children and give everyone sidewalk chalk – then make the sidewalk or driveway in front of your home beautiful!