Dry Winter Skin Tips
Are you already itching for warmer weather? For eczema sufferers, the onset of cold winter air can mean a season of itchy, red skin. This painful, cracked skin is particularly common in joint creases – the inner elbow or behind the knee – but can strike anywhere on the body.
For severe eczema, discuss steroid medications with your doctor. But before it comes to that, try these tips to relieve dry winter skin:
- Apply an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream.
- Use soaps made for sensitive skin.
- Shower in warm, but not hot, water.
- Take an oral allergy medication.
- Wear gloves to wash dishes or use cleaning products.
- Apply moisturizer liberally twice a day, particularly after showering. Choose a moisturizer that is so thick, it will not drip out if you turn the container upside down.