Don't Let Your Health Hibernate
It's a winter wonderland out there! With our first deep snow of the season, perhaps you're ready to start hibernating. But don't let your indoor days lead into bad health habits. Here are a few tips to stay healthy this winter from Dr. Tiffanie Ferry, family practice physician at SwedishAmerican Woodside.
- Get outside! Surprised? The cold, brisk air is actually good for you. Bundle well, protect yourself from wet elements, and stay active through the winter.
- Hit the gym. If you can't bear the snowy weather, join a gym close to your home to keep your body moving.
- Wash your hands. And, wash your kids' hands! Use sanitizer when soap and water isn't available. Germs love to spread like wildfire during the winter.
- Use your crock! Putting a well-rounded meal in the crock pot early in the day makes it more likely you will eat a healthy dinner. Try to include protein, vegetables and whole grains. Have fruit for dessert and a glass of milk.
- Get a flu shot. The best way to protect against the influenza virus is with easy-to-get shots.
Dr. Tiffanie Ferry is a family practice physician at SwedishAmerican Woodside.