Diabetes: Keep it Simple Through the Holidays
Diabetes is often seen as challenging and this feeling can intensify throughout the holiday season. There’s a lot of hustle and bustle this time of year and if you have to include monitoring your blood sugars, watching your diet, and possibly taking medications as well, then you can start to feel overwhelmed. Try to remember to keep it simple with the following tips:
- First and foremost- enjoy the day! The people, colors, music, smells … aren’t these what the holidays are really all about?
- Show up to parties WELL NOURISHED! Do not skip meals as this ultimately leads to excessive intake later in the day.
- Remember the Plate Method. Fill a good portion of your plate with non-starchy veggies like broccoli, carrots and cucumbers. These fiber-rich foods will help keep you satisfied throughout the day and may help with those sweet cravings. Fill the rest of your plate with lean protein and complex carbs like potatoes, stuffing, whole grain breads, and/or dried beans.
- Move your body in a way that brings you joy and feels good to you! Some options may include a post lunch/dinner walk (weather permitting), Wii dance off, yoga or anything that makes you feel good!
- Be kind to yourself and go with the flow. And of course, remember to smile!