Create a Healthier Taco
If you're celebrating Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo, we're here to help you enjoy those tacos in a fresh and healthy way. Check out these tips from SwedishAmerican dietitians for ways to lighten up your Cinco de Mayo celebration:
- Instead of using taco meat made entirely of ground beef, replace half with lentils. They offer the same texture as ground beef, but adds fiber to the meal.
- Replace meat entirely with black beans and corn for a vegetarian option.
- Reduce fat in your meal by using flour tortillas instead of hard shells.
- Don't forget to beef up the veggies! Add tomato, onion, a dark-leaf lettuce and avocado in lieu of guacamole to your taco. You can get creative with other veggies, too: peppers, cabbage, shredded carrots or zucchini or spinach.
- Be creative with your protein choice. You can make tacos with shredded chicken or pork, ground turkey, or strips of steak.