A Buschel and a Peck
Enjoy a bushel and a peck of apples this fall!
Go ahead, indulge in autumn offerings. There are plenty of ways to do that without slicing them into pies or gobblers. SwedishAmerican dietitian Molly Sleger has these healthy suggestions for adding autumn apples into your diet:
- Snack on apples and peanut butter. For a twist, make your own peanut butter with a unique flavor such as vanilla, coffee, cinnamon or cocoa.
- Baked apples. Fill apples with oats, dried fruit and nuts for a warm dessert.
- Cheeseboard. When company is over, put together a few cheeses, apple slices, nuts, crackers and fig jam.
- Chicken and apples. Roast chicken thighs over diced apples and chopped fresh sage for dinner.
- Butternut and apple puree soup.
- Apple and cheddar grilled cheese. Add thin slices of apple in between cheese.
- Grated apple in hot oatmeal or overnight oatmeal.
- Apple nachos. Thinly slice an apple horizontally. Drizzle peanut butter and chocolate, sprinkle with nuts and cinnamon.
- Salads. Add chopped apples to green salads. Try a salad of fresh greens, apple, dried cranberries, chopped pecan, and goat cheese.
- Microwave apple crumble. Heat chopped apples and cinnamon in a microwave safe mug. Top with granola.