Bike Safety Tips
Before the kids take their bikes out this spring remember these easy safety tips:
- Know your hand signals and use them.
- For children age 8 and younger, know the rules of riding on sidewalks.
- Ride slowly
- Announce if you’re passing on the right or left to go around walkers.
- Watch for cars pulling into or back out of driveways.
- Stop on sidewalk before crossing streets.
- Know the rules of the road when riding on the street.
- Ride with the traffic on the right side of the road.
- Watch for doors being opened in parked cars.
- Stop at all stop signs or red lights.
- Do not weave in-and-out of lanes.
- Know how to check the bike for safety: reflectors, brakes, chains, tight handles and seats
- Make sure the bike is the correct fit. A child should be able to touch toes to the ground while sitting on the bike.
- Always wear a helmet that fits correctly – fitting on top of the head with two fingers between eyebrows and the helmet, the chin strap snug but still able to chew gum or yell if needed.