Benefits of Guacamole
While Cinco de Mayo started as a day to remember the Mexican victory over France in the Battle of Puebla in 1862, many of us today see it as a day to celebrate Mexican culture and food. And one of the main stars of every Mexican meal - the guacamole! Lucky for us guac lovers, this side has a ton of nutritional benefits. Anna Nielsen, one of our dietitians, breaks it down:
- Avocados- This fruit is loaded with heart healthy monounsaturated fat. Avocados are also high in potassium and a good sources of vitamin C and E and antioxidants.
- Tomatoes- Loaded with lycopene (another antioxidant) this fruit also promotes heart health.
- Red Onion - High in vitamin C and the B vitamins. Also a good source of prebiotics which help with digestive function.
- Cilantro- Has shown to help fight inflammation. It is also a good source of vitamin A, which is needed for eye health.
- Lime - May aid in digestion due to the stimulation of digestive secretions.