SWEDISHAMERICAN FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES CARING FOR OUR COMMUNITY GRANT RECIPIENTS
SwedishAmerican, a division of UW Health, is excited to announce it has awarded $64,000 in six grants to local not-for-profits through the SwedishAmerican Foundation. SwedishAmerican is proud to announce the winners of its 4th annual Caring for Our Community Grant.
The Caring for Our Community Grant was designed for not-for-profits that serve communities within SwedishAmerican’s service area. SwedishAmerican received 24 grant applications and awarded six grants, including:
- $15,000 to the Boys and Girls Club of Rockford to support their Academic Success Project, which is a targeted reading and math program providing small group intervention for students who are identified as at-risk. The digital program targets grades 6-12, is led by certified educators, and provides supplemental instruction in a fun setting - encouraging all kids to succeed
- $17,735 to Family Counseling Services to support their Counseling During Troubled Times program to continue to provide essential mental health services to community members even during times such as a global pandemic.
- $10,000 to Rockford Area Habitat for Humanity to support their Expansion of Community Partnership initiative with Rockford Public Schools. This initiative delivers hands-on skills training to high school students while increasing access to affordable housing through the construction of an additional Habitat-built home for a low-to-moderate income family.
- $6,265 to Rockford Barbell to support their Youth Outreach program. The grant helps sustain a physical space for this organization, which offers free programming for kids ages 10-18 three days a week. Rockford Barbell engages these school-age children through physical activity and strength training to improve their social and emotional well-being. The mentorship provided helps children reduce their stress levels and offers opportunities for personal success.
- $10,000 to Rockford Park District Foundation to support their Healthy Kids are Happy Kids program, which provides nutritional lessons to over 300 unduplicated youth and teens – engaging them in healthy eating habits and providing access to health foods though snacks and hot meals.
- $5,000 to Rockford Sexual Assault Counseling for their 24-hour Crisis Intervention program, which includes medical advocacy at the emergency room for survivors of sexual assault and contact with individuals in crisis via phone hotline.
“SwedishAmerican’s mission is, ‘Through excellence in healthcare and compassionate service, we care for our community,’” says SwedishAmerican Foundation Director Laura Wilkinson. “We are thrilled to have the opportunity again this year to care for our community beyond the walls of our health system by investing in not-for-profit organizations who share in our mission in caring for youth and families in the Rockford area.”
For more information about grant winners or how to donate to SwedishAmerican, please visit www.swedishamericanfoundation.org or call (779) 696-2496.
A division of UW Health, SwedishAmerican is dedicated to providing excellence in healthcare and compassionate care to the community. The organization serves residents of 12 counties in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin through a dedicated and caring staff, a major acute care hospital and a free-standing outpatient cancer center in Rockford, a medical center in Belvidere, a network of 30 primary care and multi-specialty clinics, and the region’s largest home healthcare agency. Additionally, SwedishAmerican has achieved Magnet® recognition as a reflection of its nursing professionalism, teamwork and superiority in patient care. Visit swedishamerican.org for more information.
About SwedishAmerican Foundation:
SwedishAmerican established SwedishAmerican Foundation in 1981 to continue its philanthropic tradition. Today, SwedishAmerican Foundation raises funds to promote SwedishAmerican’s mission: Through excellence in healthcare and compassionate service, we care for our community.