Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Discuss the impact of Healthcare Reform on the practice of cardiovascular medicine.
- Identify the emerging models for end-of-life care and in cardiac diseases with uncertain
- Integrate the role of palliative care in symptom management and explore treatment strategies
for the end-stage cardiac patient.
- Describe the latest evidence for management of hypertension.
- Discuss how congenital heart disease patients are generally managed, including the work up
for pre-operative assessment prior to non-cardiac surgery.
- Explain recent advances in our understanding of coronary plaque rupture, coronary
inflammation, and emerging and established risk factors.
- Compare outcomes in coronary patients treated with medical management alone versus
medical management plus coronary revascularization.
- Update on clinical trials comparing optimal medical therapy alone and in combination wit
percutaneous coronary revascularization.
- Differentiate between common cardiac and non-cardiac causes of shortness of breath.