School of Radiography | Admission
SwedishAmerican Hospital School of Radiography Admission Policy
The SwedishAmerican School of Radiography provides equal opportunity for admission to all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, disability or national origin.
Academic Admission Standards
- The applicant must be a high school graduate (or equivalent).
- Admission procedures require applicants to have completed prerequisite course work with a “C” or better.
- The applicant must have earned a 2.5 minimum cumulative grade point average in college or higher to be considered for admission. Admission procedures favor applicants with superior academic achievement.
- Required College Courses:
- The applicant must complete the 9 prerequisite college courses before enrolling
in the School of Radiography. A grade of “C” or better is required in all prerequisite courses. The applicant may take these courses at Rock Valley College, the University of St. Francis or another regionally accredited college or university. All prerequisites must be approved by the Program Director. If you have any questions regarding prerequisite courses, contact the Program Director.
- The applicant may submit an application for admission before completing all required courses. The Admission Committee may admit an applicant conditionally, pending completion of the required prerequisites. The applicant must verify successful completion of spring courses by providing an updated official transcript before classes start in May. Failure to prove prerequisite compliance will result non-admittance into the program.
Professional Admission Standards
- The applicant must be 18 years of age by May 12, 2014. This is to comply with radiation protection regulations.
- Due to the nature of employment as a radiologic science professional, the applicant must be able to perform the Essential Functions of a Radiographer, as outlined on pages 17–19.
- Students admitted to the program must complete the required SwedishAmerican pre-placement physical examination to verify ability to perform Essential Functions. The program will not enroll an accepted student who fails to complete the required physical form and have an appointment at Employee Health Services by May 1, 2014.
- The applicant must be of good moral character, as verified through applicant references. The School requires a criminal background check on each applicant before admission to the program. The applicant must complete the criminal background check before May 1, 2014. Many employers require such checks prior to employment—including SwedishAmerican Hospital. Additionally, a person with a criminal conviction may not be eligible for ARRT certification.
To apply for admission to the School of Radiography
- The applicant must submit a completed electronic application found on our school’s webpage by October 15, 2014. The electronic application software will be available by June 1, 2014. Due to the competitive nature of admission to the Program, the applicant is encouraged to apply early. The application must include the names, complete addresses and e-mail addresses of three academic or professional references (no family). It is the responsibility of the applicant to call and make sure all references and application material have been received.
- There is a $35 application fee. All fees must be sent in the form of a money order or certified check made payable to: SwedishAmerican School of Radiography. Mail the check to the address listed at the bottom of this page. Applications will not be reviewed until the application fee has been received.
- The applicant must provide official high school and ALL college transcripts. The high school and college attended must forward official copies of transcripts directly to the program director at SwedishAmerican School of Radiography.
- The applicant must complete the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Examination after application submission. There is a $30 testing fee for this exam to be paid in cash. Testing is scheduled by appointment. Applicants are responsible for contacting the school at (779) 696-4959 to schedule the testing. Applicants who have completed the exam as part of the application process for another program may have their scores forwarded to SwedishAmerican, rather than repeat the exam. Applicants may take the examination up to 4 times per application cycle. The applicant is responsible for contacting the other program to have the scores sent to SwedishAmerican. All admission testing must be completed by November 15, 2013.
- All applicants will be scheduled for an eight-hour day of clinical observation in the SwedishAmerican Hospital Medical Imaging department as part of the admissions process. It is the applicant’s responsibility to call the school at (779) 696-4959 to schedule the observation after the application has been submitted.
- Based on an admission points system, selected applicants who have successfully completed the above requirements, will be contacted for an interview with the school’s program director and clinical coordinator.
- Applicants seeking admission to the baccalaureate track must contact the University of St. Francis. For additional information, call the director of allied health enrollment at (815) 740-5037.
- Application fee is $35.
Mail application fee via certified check (no personal checks) or money order to:
SwedishAmerican School of Radiography
1250 E. State St.
Rockford, IL 61104