School of Radiography | About Radiography
Radiography is the allied health profession that employs X-radiation to produce images of the human body.
The profession of radiography requires technical skills related to proper use of X-ray equipment and radiation, as well as humanistic skills related to patient care. Please see pages 17-19 of our program catalog (PDF) for Essential Functions of a Radiographer. Radiography serves as the background for further specialization in the medical imaging modalities of computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, mammography and angiography. Career opportunities also are available in education, management and technical sales.
- The radiographer performs X-ray examinations.
- The radiographer provides patient care, comfort and education.
- The radiographer observes radiation safety and protection practices.
- The radiographer produces high quality diagnostic radiographs for physician interpretation.
- The radiographer assists in the performance of invasive and fluoroscopic procedures.